Pssst… we can write an original essay just for you.
Any subject. Any type of essay.
We’ll even meet a 3-hour deadline.
121 writers online
Making a case for waiting in today’s society is counter-cultural. Consumers want it and they want it now. To wait 5 minutes in any line is unacceptable and causes friction within most people and banks are no exception. Many businesses have adopted a queuing mechanism to facilitate consumer demand. Often time’s individuals are surprised that they have to wait in line even when there are systems in place to aid in the process. “Queuing theory deals with problems which involve queuing or waiting” (Beasley, 2018). Queuing is always a result of limited resources. A fast-food chain will implement a system like this to deal with the demand of consumers in the light of lack of supply (workers). Even supermarkets implement such queuing systems. For instance, Publix supermarkets here in Florida have a queuing policy that no more than two people are to be backed up in line or an associate has to open another register. Queuing allows individuals to feel confident, boosts morale, and gives organizations a competitive edge over those who lack implementation. DR (2014) outlines the first come first served as being one of the queue models of structure. This is a typical system that we learned even in grade school. Redeemer when that kid cut you in line and you said: “back of the line buddy”. This was a developed ques system at an early age and we didn’t even know it. Still today we want to be served and every restaurant implements this concept.
Benefits of Queuing
Queuing has many benefits many of which are intangible but are realized. We’ve all experienced a less than euphoric experience waiting in a line. I recently went to Disney World. I wouldn’t recommend going if waiting is something you have an issue with. The lines there can range from 10 minutes up to an hour depending on the ride or attraction. Often times waiting in a line, whether at a doctor’s office, supermarket, Disney world, or even car wash can heighten stress levels and increase irritability. Understanding queuing is a paramount function of operations management.
In a case like the Big Bank, having one waiting line through which users could occupy the vacant teller would be a good plan. In the 5 tellers available, two are allotted for a single transaction and the remaining three would be allotted to the three tellers as 60% if the users have multiple transactions. The two tellers allocated for the users take nearly 90 seconds per each teller for which teller should wait for more than 1 minute. When it comes to the remaining three tellers, each user takes 4 minutes for the transaction for which the users of the line should wait for more than one and a half minutes. As the waiting line is 1, a lot of time is wasted for the users standing in the line.
In this case, by providing one teller for a single transaction user and the other four tellers for multiple transactions, the single transaction user should be waiting in line for more time than the multiple transaction users. Considering that 60% of users do multiple transactions, each user might wait for nearly a minute to use the service. Whereas the remaining 40% of the users go for a single transaction and need to wait for longer times than that of multiple users.
By providing one teller for the single transaction user, the waiting line would be long and the waiting time for these users would increase.
There are various reasons why companies employ the queuing system. As we have seen the cost of waiting in line, for most companies and organizations is a tradeoff of sorts. Operational managers must weigh the costs to speed up their services against the demand of consumers. We have learned that the cost for each person waiting in line is the highest when an organization is in low demand and running at minimum standards to meet it. In the future managers must understand demand and accept that it’s a part of business as well as learn how to manage it. Whether they like it or not, consumers will be dealing with ques wherever they choose to go. Managing expectation and expediting service will be key for organizations in the long run.
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing style below:
Sorry, copying is not allowed on our website. If you’d like this or any other sample, we’ll happily email it to you.
Attention! this essay is not unique. You can get 100% plagiarism FREE essay in 30sec
Sorry, we cannot unicalize this essay. You can order Unique paper and our professionals Rewrite it for you
Your essay sample has been sent.
Want us to write one just for you? We can custom edit this essay into an original, 100% plagiarism free essay.Order now
Are you interested in getting a customized paper?Check it out!