About this sample
About this sample
Words: 1414 |
8 min read
Published: Apr 11, 2019
Words: 1414|Pages: 3|8 min read
When it comes to beauty and cosmetic shopping one must be a savvy shopper in order to win and purchase quality makeup that doesn’t break the bank.
The beauty industry is on the constant rise in the last 20 years so it only makes sense that the black cosmetic market will also grow in the shadows.
Based on the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) reports, in the US almost $250 billion dollars are spent yearly on fake products.
The major issue of the counterfeit makeup is that they are an insurmountable health treats to all beauty lovers worldwide just because they have a non-regulated manufacturing process and non-existent laboratories.
However, something is actually being done about it. People who are caught selling or producing fake products can bare serious consequences.
Tina Oleszczuk from Florida has been sentenced to 18 months in prison and ordered to pay MAC Cosmetics an enormous refund for selling nearly $1 million worth of fake makeup on eBay. Although this is one of a kind situation with the culprit being caught it can serve as an omen to all the other people who are thinking about joining in the black market.
The scammers typically scan for targets on Amazon, eBay or similar websites to sell them the goods. The victims are beauty lovers who want to own a cult product for at a discount price. The biggest problems are that anyone can sell anything online and there is no way of determining if the product is legit or no until it gets in your mailbox.
The International AntiCounterfeiting Coalition (IACC) is working with big companies to put a stop to product piracy like this. Almost 90% of the products come from China because they have an old copy-cat culture. The other 10% surprisingly comes from India. The production is much cheaper in these countries so the scammers often decide on these locations.
There were multiple researches about the ingredients of counterfeit beauty products. Since the locations of the production are unknown the manufacturer is not obligated to protect the users so the ’’laboratories’’ do not fulfill the sanitary conditions and they are contaminated with waste. From urine to Escherichia coli and meningitis bacteria – the list is endless. The paint that is used often contains led, potassium, mercury and paint deluder. There are cases of people who got severe swelling, dermatitis, rashes, their skin burned and in some lipsticks their lips actually got glued together! The scientists have concluded that prolonged exposure to some of the chemicals found in these makeup products have a toxic effect on our organs.
Currently there are not many agencies searching for the criminals who produce and sell counterfeit products simply because there are much serious problems to attend to like drug and human trafficking. What people don’t realize is that producing fake products is a very enticing job and it’s often used as a cover for money laundering and it some cases even finances the above mentioned trafficking. It may not seem like a big problem but think about it: would you order a transplant organ from the dark web or would you like that your organ gets tested in the hospital in sanitary conditions? It is a pretty dramatic and scary comparison but it is the same in the end. The makeup covers and soaks in your largest organ – skin!
Right now someone is shopping a MAC lipstick online with remains of led or paint thinner and being excited because of the big discount.
MAC Cosmetics is actually one of the rare makeup companies that are trying to raise awareness about the counterfeit products.
On the other side, many companies just don’t want to comment on their products being stolen. One of the reasons for this is that they do not wish to publicize the scammers and the other one is that they are afraid that they will lose customers because the customers cannot be sure if they bought the original product or no. Luckily we have a lot of beauty gurus who put their thinking cap on and find more affordable dupe products for the high-end makeup brands.
Let’s see how we can avoid purchasing fake products:
Browse our vast selection of original essay samples, each expertly formatted and styled
Where do you want us to send this sample?
Be careful. This essay is not unique
This essay was donated by a student and is likely to have been used and submitted before
Download this Sample
Free samples may contain mistakes and not unique parts
Sorry, we could not paraphrase this essay. Our professional writers can rewrite it and get you a unique paper.
Please check your inbox.
We can write you a custom essay that will follow your exact instructions and meet the deadlines. Let's fix your grades together!