🏰🧙♂️ The Importance of Science Fiction and Fantasy Books
This literary genre has existed for decades and quickly became among favorites for both old and young who wanted to explore outer space and start with a distant journey to another galaxy. Some famous examples of fantasy books include The Narnia Chronicles by C.S. Lewis and the immortal Lord of the Rings saga by J.R.R. Tolkien to name a few. Then we also have a bit more complex The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. These science fiction books are essential for readers of all ages because they inspire and push the readers to go beyond their comfort zone and feel free as they read. Our list will include the best new books that have been published in recent times and several classics worth checking.
The entries on our list are also dealing with the accessibility factor, which will make it safe for the younger readers as well. The purpose of fantasy books literature, after all, is to stir our creative forces and make us feel inspired. As you look through the books, make sure that you take your time to check the classic books as well as the modern authors who have been inspired by those great inventors of the past.
Top 10 Fantasy Books Worth Checking
The majority of fantasy books that you will encounter today will be either based on technology with the use of genetic experiments or the post-apocalyptic worlds that have been explored by fantasy writers for decades. If you are looking for the best fantasy books that will boost your imagination, these entries will help you to remain inspired and discover new names in the genre:
- Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel. This book reminds the famous "Ticket to the Moon" song by the Electric Light Orchestra where the past is compared to the future. Here we have the description of life in the moon colonies with the constant flashbacks to the 1910s. An example of emotional reading.
- Eyes of The Void by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Now we are dealing with the destroyers of the planets and the galaxy wars novel. It is about the alien species that call themselves The Architects. You might already get the basic idea here. Speaking of top fantasy books, you will love the characters and the dynamic style of the narration.
- The Way Spring Arrives and Other Stories by Yu Chen and Regina Kanyu Wang. An example of Chinese science fiction that became popular in the USA just like Japanese anime. It’s a great collection of various science fiction stories for something totally different.
- Goliath by Tochi Onyebuchi. Without giving out too many details, it is a story about the population and the planet that is about to disappear. If the space colonies and the fight for survival sound right to you, do not miss this book!
- Akata Woman by Nnedi Okorafor. It is more than just a science fiction story as it helps the main character to find her identity. It is an allegory to our modern life where we often feel lost in the myriad of technological solutions. A book that will also help college students find their identity.
- How High We Go In The Dark by Sequoia Nagamatsu. Let us warn you, it’s not an easy read and one of those fantasy books that help to overcome grief and achieve peace of mind.
- Daughter of the Moon Goddess by Sue Lynn Tan. A great portrayal of Chinese and the world’s mythology as we follow Xinglin’s journey from her childhood to the throne. A wonderful book that people of all ages will enjoy.
- The Bladed Faith by David Dalglish. It is a story of a human transformation that is full of action and adventure. You will find the mixture of a good mystery as you start reading, which is one of the reasons why it's one of the books to discover in 2022. It is one of those stories where nothing is what it seems, which you will quickly understand as you start reading.
- In a Garden Burning Gold by Rory Power. This is an interesting fantasy book, which is the author's debut when it comes to science fiction. It has amazing Byzantine-era elements as it rises cultural aspects of brotherhood, family, and friendship.
- The Hunger of the Gods by John Gwynne. If you are fond of the magical worlds and the epic events, this fantasy book in the series of Bloodsworn Saga series with the elements of Nordic mythology stories will appeal to you.
The Classic Science Fiction Books & New Book Titles to Check
When you are looking for top sci fi books, you should check the following entries that must be in the list of the science fiction books you have read:
- The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. Although it has been first published in 1895, it is a classic book that has inspired numerous authors all over the world. The generations of science fiction fans hold it dearly. Even if you take a look at novelties in the market, you will notice certain parts of Wells' timeless creation.
- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. It is one of the books that need no introduction. it is a great mixture of science and fiction even if for the beautiful language of the famous English professor alone.
- The Game of Thrones by George RR Martin. Based on the mixture of Norse and Celtic mythologies, it's an example of the best sci fi books that you should check if you are interested in combining the past and the present. If you have already seen the award series, you will enjoy the book even more.
If you are looking for something more specific that has been published as of late, think about checking these best books:
- Classic Science Fiction Stories by Adam Roberts. If you want to get the best of the past and the present, this collection of alien stories should be your top priority. These are books that have been combined into this collection that includes Edgar Allan Poe and H.P. Lovecraft. If you are new to the genre and want to discover different texts and styles, do not miss this one.
- A Desolation Called Peace by Arkady Martine. The alien threat is here again, yet this time the hero can save us all (just like in Spiderman!). Seriously though, this book is a great fit for those who love those lengthy space sagas.
- Jack Four by Neal Asher. This time the science fiction writing focuses on the cloning processes and genetics. It's a great story to read and tells us a lot about humanity, responsibility, and the fantasies that we may have.
- Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams. Another great entry that you will enjoy as it's a classic book that has been turned into radio shows, movies, tv-series, and comic books. A must-read futuristic narration!
How to Choose a Good Fantasy or Sci-Fi Book?
Remember that the best fantasy books of all time do not have to be all about space battles and the aliens as you may read "The Invisible Man" that has been penned by H.G. Wells that has been published in 1897. Still, the story sounds fresh and relevant today as the book talks about isolation and the important issues that will always remain important. It’s called science fiction for a reason because such books must educate you and help you think beyond the usual concepts. It shows that choosing a fantasy book, you must think about what inspires you and take the time to find out more about the author. These are the best fantasy books that may not even be among recommendations. The same relates to the Narnia Chronicles, one of the books that you must read both as an adult and as a young person because the Biblical references that it has made it more than just a fantasy story. As you explore the new titles, always remember about the best sci fi books of all time as they will help you to see the origins and learn both as a reader and as a person. Now, take another look through the list and start reading!