Why Choosing a Book to Read Can Be Problematic?
You might have loved reading books as a child or turned to comic books for entertaining purposes and ignored so-called serious books. In either case, reading books is not about how much you have read or even what you have read, but the set of emotions that you sense. Your happiness and sadness may easily become amplified and you may be able to process specific thoughts and ideas that you have running through your head. So, how to choose a book to read and make it to the final page? There are many methods that will be helpful and keep you inspired! Just remember that the main purpose is not to read thirty pages daily but to enjoy at least one page and make it truly meaningful for your inner being. If you are feeling inspired, then the primary aim has been achieved.
You might be wondering why people dislike reading these days. Contrary to the popular belief that it all comes down to free time and busy schedules, the true reason is the poor reading skills, which makes it challenging to read at an acceptable speed. It leads to frustration and exhaustion as the person tends to read through the same passage again. Now, there are specific medical reasons like PTSD, ADHD, autism, poor attention span, and dyslexia where reading is always challenging, yet can be made easier with a special educator being present. The most important is to become a patient book selector with no pressure and by taking enough time. As we know, the writer only begins the book but a reader finishes it!
The Importance of Reading
You always learn as you read because you are automatically trying to make sense of what you see in front of your laptop screen or when reading a book in print. There are numerous advantages of holding an actual book in your hands because you are less prone to various distractions and can make yourself comfortable with a book without having to sit with an ebook reader or some suggest me a book app that must be downloaded. Still, many college students these days tend to read electronic books, which is also good, yet do not ignore the books in print as they make a major difference!
Remember that it is not the number of books you have read but the content that you have chosen to explore. It is what you read that matters and inspires you to continue with a book. If you already know what you like, you may consider the Amazon recommendation suggester tool or choose a genre that you like. It addresses what should I read challenge quite well! The right book must be useful for your personality and pose an interest to you.
For example, if you are an engineer, turning to science fiction can be a good idea, especially if you want to keep your mind open. College students majoring in Nursing may search for inspirational books about the strength of spirit or turn to romantic stories as these tend to increase our empathy.
Finally, it is always good to choose children’s books once in a while even if you have read them before. Some titles like The Narnia Chronicles by C.S. Lewis are much deeper than they seem, which is why you should read them as an adult person, too!
Methods to Choose Books to Read
- Choose Works by Your Favorite Authors. This is both good and bad because you can become limited. Still, it is a great way to choose books that you are most likely to love. If a certain writer is good with detectives or you like adventure books, exploring what else has been written by a particular author is a good way to start. If you want to take things a bit further, read the biography of the author and find out who has inspired him or her to write a particular book. It will be like a special quiz game to start with!
- Create a Personal Reading List. It is like a special wishlist where you can make a selection of books that you have to read. Do not push yourself though and do not continue with a book that does not seem interesting or inspiring to you. When you already have a list, you can proceed with a book from there and divide certain titles by subject or the time period.
- Choose a Topic to Explore. Another great method to choose a book is to start with a topic that interests you. If you are interested in Asian culture, you can explore Asian authors and start with poetry as Asian poems are unique. Likewise, if AI-based stories are interesting to you, you can look for books via keywords by using a relevant app that can suggest a book based on your preferences.
- Read Professional Book Reviews. These are always helpful as you can find out a little bit more about the books that are popular and explore the new titles that may reflect the problems that you would like to address. It is also a great way to find out about modern authors as you are looking for close matching! The only negative side of this method is that professional reviewers always have some bias and what they like might not be your cup of tea!
- Schedule Your Reading Time. This aspect is often ignored, but you have to allocate at least thirty minutes for reading and find a good location. It’s like playing a musical instrument – you need to have some peace to enjoy it! At the same time, read only when you like it, and do not make it a chore!
5 Books Worth Checking Now
If you are ready to start with an adventure and ask yourself what book should I read, here are some books that you should start with even if you do not like reading or visiting the library:
- The Lord of The Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. It is more than just an adventure story, but also an example of flawless English language and the use of metaphors and allegories that cannot be encountered anywhere else. If this book fails to inspire you, you can watch the film version and then have fun as you compare it with the book. This little trick always works!
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. If you love romantic stories but want to start with the classics, you ought to know where it all has started. As a famous novel worldwide, it is a great story that will teach you a lot and help you understand our society.
- The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank. If there is at least one non-fiction book that you won’t be able to read without tears, it is the one. Telling a story of a young girl escaping from the Nazi soldiers will show you that there are people who fight for good and care for each other despite the circumstances.
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. Our younger readers will enjoy this classic book based on fantasy worlds! If you haven’t read this one before, it is a great adventure that will help you feel better. It is an inspiring book for all ages. If you find a book to read inspiring, don’t forget to read the other books in the series!
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It is not an easy book to read and some parts may not be suitable for the younger audience, yet this book will show you the true value of friendship and coming to mental recovery and redemption. Marked as the book of the year by the San Francisco Chronicle, it has it all and you will always remember the story.
The Motivation to Read
People often ask about what should work better for them: making lengthy lists of books to read or choosing something random. The truth is that every person is different and you cannot pre-program something that you will like by forcing yourself to read. When it happens, people often lose motivation to read and fight for one more page they have to finish. Choosing books randomly is more interesting because you do not know what to expect and allow yourself more freedom as a chooser! Make the book an activity that you actually enjoy by checking different authors and similar styles to what you prefer. Read the first chapter and, if it feels close to you and inspires you, you will definitely enjoy it!
The Reasons Why Reading Makes You a Better
The benefits of reading a book are clear, yet not many people choose to help themselves by participating in this amazing activity. According to healthcare specialists, reading will help to affect your physical and mental health in a positive way. Your brain will function differently by training one’s attention span. Reading is not only a great way to build a solid vocabulary but it also increases empathy and makes you a better thinker. The psychologists also claim that reading prevents cognitive decline, which is also important for college students and middle school children going through various stressful situations. Speaking of stress, it helps with correction of the sleep patterns and alleviates anxiety and depression. If we take a look at the people in a small land like Iceland or those who are not spending all their time busy with technology and automation, reading lengthens the lifespan of a person because the coordination of the hands, eyes, and the brain becomes almost perfect!
If you want to feel entertained, remember that reading a book is a deeply personal activity that can also be shared with a good friend or a significant other since you can read together or enjoy it with a younger sibling. You will not only increase your general knowledge but will help your brain explore something that inspires you. It is what makes it so important to choose some book that motivates you to learn or tells a story that feels close to your personality. After all, reading a good book is like taking a journey where you always grow as a person and become more empathic, caring, and loving.
Stanborough, R. (2019). Benefits of Reading Books: For Your Physical and Mental Health. Retrieved 15 June 2022